Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Mardi Gras

Happy Fat Tuesday!

For those who are not aware, today is the last day of Mardi Gras. This day is know as "Fat Tuesday". Have you ever wondered about the history of Mardi Gras? Here are some interesting tidbits:

On March 2, 1699 an expedition from France was sent by King Louis XIV to protect France's claim on Louisianna (which then was comprised of Alabama, Louisianna and Mississippi). The party traveled upstream through the Mississippi River to a location about 60 miles downriver from New Orleans and made camp. This was Tuesday, March 3, 1699, Mardi Gras day. In honor of this holiday the spot was named Point du Mardi Gras.

In 1703 the Mardi Gras tradition was begun by the French to celebrate the day they settled in America.

The cities most famous for their Mardi Gras celebrations are New Orleans, Louisiana and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Many other cities celebrate Mardi Gras as well. In the US and Europe the celebrations are held with carnivals while in Ireland, Latin America, the Caribbean and the UK they celebrate the Shrovetide. The shrovetide is the celebration of the last day of Mardi Gras also known as "Fat Tuesday". This day is celebrated with the traditional plate of pancakes!
In honor of Fat Tuesday have some pancakes!


Shown Above:

2 comments:

Bagladee said...

great facts....i didn't know that!!

ABrushWithHumor said...

Wow! Those pankcakes are making me hungry!

Robin

About Me

My photo
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Hi! Welcome to the official blog for Start To Finish Supplies. My name is Katie. I am the face behind Start To Finish Supplies. I am a 20-something living in Raleigh, NC. I enjoy spending time crafting. When I am not crafting I am reading, kayaking or at the beach. I started out making jewelry in March, 2007 under the business name Katie Carolina Designs. I launched Start To Finish Supplies a year later in March 2008. Start To Finish Supplies has been a blast. I take pride in offering supplies to fellow crafters at reasonable prices. Why pay more money to buy from a large corporation? With Start To Finish Supplies I am always around to answer questions and to provide excellent customer service. I strive to make every transaction perfect!